We have two wonderful recipes to share with you! Doug and Lindsay have been making some great breakfast fritattas on Sunday to quickly heat-n-eat all week long. These breakfast meals are a great balance of carbs, proteins and fats to get your metabolism running, give you great fuel before or after a workout and to keep you full till your mid-morning meal. Both recipes are super simple to make by baking in the oven. Doug’s version is a bit larger portion good for guys (it can be cut down for smaller portion though) and Lindsay’s version is a bit smaller in calories and fat (but can also be increased for guys or you can add meat to this dish to bump the calories and fats).
Doug’s veggie-turkey-sweet potato-egg fritatta:
- 4 cups shredded sweet potato
- 7 whole large eggs
- 3.5 cups egg whites
- 3 cups diced green & red bell peppers
- 1.5 cups diced yellow onion
- 20 oz ground turkey 93/7
- Turn oven on to 350.
- Wipe down the inside of a 12×15 glass baking dish with either grapeseed oil or coconut oil or grass fed Irish butter.
- Brown ground turkey and set aside to cool.
- Cut up 2 large sweet potatoes and run through food processor to shred. Place 3 cups of sweet potato in the bottom of the baking dish. Spread out evenly.
- Dice up peppers and onions and spread over sweet potato.
- Spread ground turkey over veggies.
- Whisk eggs and egg whites in a large bowl. Pour eggs over veggies. Shake the dish a little to get egg to settle down into all the veggies and sweet potato.
- Sprinkle with seasoning, lots of fresh ground pepper and some garlic seasoning, easy on the salt (only use sea salt).
- Place in oven on middle rack. bake for 1:30:00 to 1:50:00 or until egg is set in middle. you can check the eggs with a knife, simply peak into the middle and make sure the egg is cooked through.
- Set on a rack to cool for at least one hour. Cut into 8 large squares, package 7 of the squares and then divide the last square into 7 pieces and distribute the pieces to the other packages.
- To heat up, simply put in the microwave for about 1:30 and enjoy a great breakfast every morning!
As a special treat, once in awhile you can substitute the ground turkey for 12 strips of turkey bacon!
|Egg – Egg, Large , 7 large egg (50g)||490||7||32||42|
|Egg Beaters – Southwestern Style Egg Beaters, 3.5 cup||378||14||0||70|
|Heb – Diced Bell Peppers 3 Color, 3 cup||80||20||0||4|
|Generic – Yellow Onion, Diced, 1.5 cup||96||22||0||3|
|Shady Brook Farms – Lean Ground Turkey 93/7, 1 container (20 oz.s ea.)||800||0||40||110|
|Shedd’s Spread – Country Crock Plus Calcium, 3 tbsp||150||0||15||0|
|Generic – Shredded Sweet Potato, 4 cup shredded||912||216||0||16|
- 5 whole large eggs
- 3 1/2 cups egg whites
- 3 cups shredded sweet potato
- 4 cups chopped asparagus, mushrooms, red onion
Directions for Lindsay’s fritatta is exactly the same as Doug’s, but Lindsay’s is made in a 9×13 baking dish and cooks for a little less time. Also, in Lindsay’s dish, the veggies need to be cooked in a pan first, the asparagus tends to not cook all the way through and is tough if you skip this step.